5 Tips to Rock Your Next Cover Letter
We cannot stress the importance of including a well thought out cover letter with every resume that you submit. In many cases, your cover letter is your first impression to a new potential employer. The tricky thing about first impressions is, you only get one. Follow our tips below to ensure your cover letter gives the amazing first impression you deserve.
1. Customize it. Not all jobs and employers are the same, so not all cover letters should be the same either. Customize your cover letter by including the name of the hiring manager (not sir, madam, or “whom it may concern”). If you do not know the name of the hiring manager, a simple call to the HR department should do the trick. In addition to customizing your greeting, you will want to include points addressing why you want to work for that company specifically in addition to highlighting your previous work experience that is relevant to the position.
2. Name Drop. If you know someone at the company or you learned about the open position from someone at the company, don’t be afraid to include that person’s name in your cover letter. Many employers prefer to hire a candidate that someone at the office can vouch for. Having a connection to the company can increase your chances of landing the job.
3. Flatter Them. Be sure to mention what you find attractive about the employer and what you feel their specific strengths are. Tell the company why you’re applying there instead of just any place that will cut you a paycheck (regardless of if that’s true). Flattery goes a long way.
4. Don’t be Modest. Tell the company what your strengths are, mention all of your relevant qualifications, and provide excellent references. Employers are probably perusing dozens of resumes, so help them out by telling them why you are the best candidate for the job.
5. Proof It. The quickest way to get your resume tossed in the trash? Spelling, punctuation, or grammatical errors in your cover letter. Spell check is not enough as auto corrections can cause mistakes that still stand out to the human eye. Often it is easier to catch someone else’s mistakes than to catch our own so we recommend having someone else proof read your resume before you send it out.
In summary, it is important to put your best foot forward while searching for a new job. An amazing cover letter is the best way to make a positive first impression on a potential employer.